Healthy but Delicious
Almost everyday someone asks me about my daily eating habits and my fitness routine. I popped up a post about my workouts a few days ago (see here) so now it's time to talk food..HEALTHY food!!
Here are a few helpful hints that I am using to try & get me through the summer break without over indulging in all of the yummy food in my face 24/7!!
- The first thing i put in my mouth is apple cider vinegar and hot water.
- OR lemon & hot water. This helps me get my metabolism going for the day
- Without fail I will have a smoothie with... a frozen banana, ice, almond milk, Acai, vital greens, protein and blueberries. I also add in a few extra powers sometimes from the Amazonia range, My favourites include Vitamin C, probiotics & a multi. These all keep my energy levels up until lunch
- OR I have quinoa flakes. I use these instead of oats as they are gluten free & they make me less bloated. This is an easy breaky to whip up. i just add hot water, cacao, sunflower seeds and a tiny bit of honey! Easy!
- For a snack I try & stick to almonds or some fruit. Summer fruits are the best! Cold & delicious!
- A fresh salad full of spinach, egg, almonds, left over fish or chicken, red onion, coriander topped with lemon juice and red wine vinegar... YUMMM
- Lots of veggies! Do your very best to add as many GREEN veggies as possible. Protein is also a key addition... a piece of fish, chicken or sometimes some lean red meat (It is so important that young women get their fix of iron & red meat, so don't cut it out!!)
- OR rice noodle stir fry
- OR just repeat lunch and so another yummy healthy salad. Salads don't have to be boring... Add in nuts, cranberries,seeds, chilli, herbs, roast veggies...yum!
The trick is to drink loads of water & NEVER ever starve yourself. If I let myself get too hungry I end up eating something bad because I just want fooooood. And when you starve yourself, your body starts to store fat to keep you going which is not what you want! Be smart & healthy...respect your body. I make sure to have loads of snacks wherever I go... nuts, seeds, raw veggies etc
Even when I am travelling ( which is a lot these days) I make sure to have little bits & bobs in my bag at all times. Things like a handy & healthy muesli bar, fruit or a healthy sweet for when I need a sugar hit. I love to be active, happy & energetic when I work for all of my clients... and energy comes from food. So it's important for my reputation that I keep onto all of this! Don't be lazy & rely on coffee!
For those times when you do want to be a tad naughty... I have discovered one of the best & most healthy desserts from the legend Lola Berry. Her book The Happy Cook is crazy good! Below is the recipe & method for an EPIC cheesecake! Enjoy!! And remember ... everything in moderation & find 30 every single day!
I try & add new recipes & snack ideas whenever I come across them... have a look on my Insty @elyseknowlzy or follow me on Snapchat at ELYSEKNOWZY ... :)
- 310g (2 cups) almonds,
- soak for tow hrs over night,
- Then rinse
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter
- pinch of grouch cinnamon
- 60ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 235g (1 1/2 cups) cashews,
- soaked for 2-6 hrs or overnight , then rinse
- 2 passionfruit
- 125ml (1 1/2 cups) almond milk
- 125 ml (1 1/2 cups) maple syrup (i always use a little less, as i don't like things to sweet) (1 cup)
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped ( or a dash of vanilla extract )
- 4 fresh passionfruit
- I added some dried coconut and mint leave for decoration
for the tart shell, place the almonds, dates, almond butter ,cinnamon and almond milk in the food processor and blitz to a chunky paste , then press it with your fingers ( damp hands can help) into the base and sides into a loose-bottomed tart tin. put in the freezer for about an hr, you can make the tart shell up to a week in advance.
For the filling , put the cashews, passionfruit pulp, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla seeds into a food processor or power blender , then blend until think and creamy. pop the filling into the tart shell and finish it by topping with ore passionfruit pulp.
Pop the tart into the fridge until you are ready to eat :) YUM!