Porridge... for all dietary requirements x
It's officially winter time! Despite becoming much harder to roll out of bed each morning – there is a silver lining ... a big, yummy and healthy breakfast!!
I love writing lots about healthy diets because it's so relevant. One of the biggest killers in Australia is heart disease. It's been like this forever - so it's time to get wise & eat well from the second you wake up. My advice this winter is to save your pennies for a warm holiday OR a big new wooly coat & cook your weekend breakfasts at home. Instagram makes cafe cook-ups look delicious but it's nothing you can't create yourself. All you need is a big bag of oats.
Porridge! Firstly, you should all know the benefits that follow filling your belly up with porridge. Have a read below & check out A Conscious Collection's article, "Six Staples of A Dieticians Diet" to understand just how powerful rolled oats are...
- They are filled with so many important vitamins. Manganese, phosphorus, magnesium (which is GREAT for a healthy heart), copper, iron, zinc AND folate. Yep, all in a single oat!
- They are full of antioxidants which help lower blood pressure (so make sure to get your parents and grandparents onto porridge for this reason as well). Antioxidants are not only in expensive "super foods". They can be found is so many common/classic ingredients too - just Google it.
- Oats are packed with fibre which means you’ll stay fuller for longer and you will stay regular (in other words, they'll keep your digestive system in check)
- Oats are great for the skin, especially for those who suffer from eczema. A little side tip; When you’re buying new skincare – have a look for oat based products.
- Oats can be cooked to suit all dietary requirements. Those who are lactose intolerant or prefer gluten free, those who follow a FOD Map diet, Paleo or sugar free diets … Porridge is the most versatile breaky! Scroll down & check out my list below. There is a porridge recipe for all.
Final note; Try to stay away from pre-packaged porridge sachets (there a lots of hidden sugars in them) and make your own. All you need is oats & a pot + any of the goodies you want to add in. Milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, honey, bananas. Porridge is simple, quick, hot & healthy… and it can be as cheap as chips!!
So after your walk, run, Soul Cycle class or boxing session – go home to your uggies and tuck into a big bowl of goodness!!
Click for some recipes below to suit all dietary requirements!
- FODMap Friendly - Cinnamon Porridge with Whole Rolled Oats - thank you Delicious
- Sugar Free - Savoury Porridge - thank you Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar
- Gluten Free Friendly - Organic Quinoa Porridge – thank you Goodness.com
- Paleo Friendly – Warm Flaxseed Porridge – thank you Pete Evans
- Dairy Free (Note; just swap the milk for water or almond/soy milk) Blackberry & Apple, Almond & Cinnamon or Maple & Pecan Porridge – thank you Jamie Oliver
- Normal Porridge with all of the frills, Banana Bread Porridge Bowl. I am yet to try this but it looks GOOD! … thank you Goop!